Thick cut oats, cranberries, flax seeds and pumpkin seeds make a crunchy yet chewy lace-like cookie.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups old fashioned or thick cut oats
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3 Tbs. flax seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin roasted shelled pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, salt, soda and spices; set aside.
- Cream together the butter,shortening, and sugars.
- Add the eggs, one at a time beating after each addition, to the butter mixture. Add the vanilla, combine.
- Beat in the sifted flour and spices.
- By hand, add the oats (I used the extra thick cut oats), cranberries, flax seeds and pumpkin seeds.
- Drop dough by scant tablespoons full on to prepared baking sheet. Make sure the cookies are at least 3 inches apart. Cook for 11 – 14 minutes. The cookies should be set but not overly browned. They are a thin, crisp and chewy, lace-like cookie.
- Cool a minute on the baking sheet and remove carefully with a metal spatula to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes about 3-1/2 dozen cookies