Baguette Sandwich of Peppered Bacon, Goat Cheese and Gorgonzola Spread with Apple, Pepper Jelly and Pecans
Split a baguette lengthwise, remove a little bread and stuff with a peppery bacon and a cheese mixture that is spiced up with apple, pepper jelly and pecans.
- 1 french baguette (11 oz), cut into 3, approx. 6-inch pieces, crosswise, and then split in half lengthwise.
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 3 ounces gorgonzola
- 1/4 cup red pepper jelly
- 4-1/2 Tbs. chopped pecans
- 1/2 apple peeled and thinly sliced with a wide vegetable peeler
- 6 slices thick cut peppered bacon, cooked until crisp
To Assemble the sandwich:
1. Pull out some of the soft bread on the inside of each loaf section to create a long pocket in the bread.
2. Combine the goat cheese and gorgonzola: Bring both cheeses to room temperature or microwave them in a small microwave suitable bowl for about 20 seconds to warm the cheese so they mix smoothly. Cool before using.
3. Spread a layer of goat cheese over one side of the baguette sandwich. On the other half, spread the cheese on the edges and ends of the bread. Spread 1/3 of the pepper jelly in the center of the bread with the cheese just on the edges. The cheeses pressed together in the assembled sandwich, when chilled, will anchor the loaf halves together.
4. Sprinkle 1/3 of the pecans on each bread side that is covered in the cheese mixture.
5. Cover one side of the sandwich with apple slices. A wide vegetable peeler works great to get perfect slices.
6. Top each side with a slice of bacon.
7. Put both sides of the sandwich together. Make sure ingredients are inside of the little hollow you made by removing some of the bread and the edges are covered in the cheese mixture.
8. Wrap tightly in the aluminum foil and refrigerate. The cheese spread to the edges will harden and hold the sandwich together.